The ability to self-regulate is a crucial skill for children to learn. It aids children in learning to follow rules and recognize boundaries. According to recent research, kindergarten teachers consider self-regulation to be the most crucial characteristic required for school preparedness. There is also evidence that self-regulation levels correlate with school preparedness more than IQ or academic readiness.
The ability to self-regulate includes the ability to:
- Calm down after something exciting and upsetting happened
- Defer gratification
- Alternate between duties
- Focus attention
- Manage behavior, feelings, and thoughts
Warm and responsive connections give children a headstart in self-regulation. They also learn by observing the adults around them. As your child grows, self-regulation assists them in the following ways:
- Learning at school – self-regulation allows your child to sit and listen in class
- Behaving in socially acceptable ways – self-regulation allows your child to manage impulses.
- Make friends – self-regulation enables your child to take turns in games and conversation, share toys, and express emotions appropriately
- Become more independent – self-regulation enables your child to make appropriate behavioral decisions and learn how to behave in new situations with less guidance from you
Several factors can influence your child’s capacity to self-regulate. Tiredness, illness, and changes in your child’s routine can all have an impact on your child’s capacity to regulate their reactions and behavior. Furthermore, some children have excellent self-regulation at child care, school, or sports but struggle at home. And, as youngsters get older, self-regulation may become more difficult if they have a lot of evaluation tasks or interpersonal problems.
A Promising Tomorrow Early Care & Educational Center can help you and your child develop their self-regulating skills through our holistic programs, activities, and healthy learning environment for preschool in Toledo, Ohio.
Enroll your child now in a daycare in Ohio!