Toledo’s future depends on a well-educated workforce, yet four out of five children here – 80% of our kids – start school unprepared to learn. Too many stay behind – in reading, math, high school graduation, college enrollment, job skills, and family income. Our 4,000 4-year-olds need a strong start so Toledo can have a stronger economy and future.
With no time to waste, HOPE Toledo Pre-K is working for sustainable public preschool funding to:
- Get all 4-year-olds access to high-quality preschool through public schools and community providers.
- Provide families with tuition assistance on a sliding scale based on income.
- Require high standards, sound curricula, small classes, and family engagement.
- Attract and retain excellent teachers with competitive compensation.
- Provide professional development to improve teacher and student performance.
- Partner with local agencies for the health, social, and behavioral services children need.
- Guarantee accountability with program evaluations and financial audits.
Governance is shared by participating school districts and a HOPE Toledo Pre-K Services Board including the districts, city, educators, parents, agency partners, funders, and local citizens – and implemented by a small pre-K leadership team.
Please visit https://www.hope-toledo.org/hope-toledo-pre-k-overview to learn more.